Sunday, December 7, 2008

17 MORE DAYS TO CHRISTMAS

Despite Ed and I having colds etc. we have managed to decorate our home inside and out. We even signed up for the "best decorated home" in Horseshoe Bend, so wish us luck. Ed still has the "hacking" cough, and when we took him to the doctor this past Friday, all the doctor said was that his lungs sounded "wet", due to the "crackling" noise he was hearing. But according to the doctor, he said the xrays and blood tests didn't show pneumonia, so that is a good thing - I guess. I did throw a "hissy fit" and got his pulmonary appointment changed to the end of the month instead of in February, and I said I didn't like that date either, but the pulmonologist is booked solid, so I guess that is better than waiting or none at all. Ed did get two inhalers and another anti-biotic to take as well as a water pill. Sometimes I think all doctors can do is to write prescriptions, but maybe these will help, at least I'm praying so. I am really concerned about Ed as he usually is "Mr. Macho", but that isn't showing its head this time. In the meantime, I've been planning a Diabetic Support Group Christmas get together at my home for this coming Thursday. Since the house is all decorated, all I have to do is to bake some Terriyaki Wings (oh yummy good) and get some festive plates, cups, and napkins and we're set to go. The rest of the group are bringing a dish to pass, so this should be less stressful on everyone concerned. I made the gifts for everyone out of emptied, washed cleaned with hot soapy water, Del Monte sliced peach cans with the pop-top openings (or whatever cans you find available with "Pop-Top" lids). If you'd like to try this, just follow these easy steps: 1) You use the can opener that cuts from the side and doesn't leave sharp edges, to cut the bottom from the cans; 2) you then fill these cans with your chosen goodies (in this case it was filled with "sugar free" candies); 3) you then Hot glue the bottom back onto the can (be sure the bottom is completely glued in); 4) then you wrap each can in the fashion of your choice (I can't wrap anything worth a darn, but I tried); 5) tie a ribbon or bow around it and viola' you're finished. The Christmas ornament that is hanging from the package (can), is one I made for each of the guests by: 1) pull the ornaments hanging clip from the ball itself and lay aside; 2) spray adhesive spray into a clear ornament ball; 3) quickly add glitter and shake to cover the inside; 4) if you want to add dimension (or color), then you spray the adhesive spray again into the ornament and quickly add some mica powder of your choice, and shake again; 5) shake any excess powder &/or glitter from the ball and reattach the hanging clip. Viola' you have a one of a kind Christmas ornament. I do hope you all will try these ideas, as they are inexpensive gifts for you to make and to give, and during these hard economy times, we have to think and do what is best for our pocket books. I hope you have enjoyed this article and will return again. Merry Christmas, and Happy Holidays to one and all.

3 comments:

christina d said...

I really like what you've done. It sounds like your get-together will be fun. Hope hubby feels better soon.

Unknown said...

Sounds like you have the house all decorated and ready for the festivities despite all of the "yuckies".

Dianne Adams said...

I really like the Christmas ornaments on your packages. They're beautiful!