Saturday, July 19, 2008

THE UGLY DUCKLING TALE OF A GESSO TECHNIQUE

Yesterday I needed a bit of relaxation, so I decided to try a new technique. Yes, you guessed it - old miss prissy got messy...LOL You might say I almost stuck to my art before getting through creating. I didn't follow the "exact" instructions for this technique as I didn't have any Stazon Ink - some day I'm going to have to get over my fear of this ink. If you would like to have the "correct" info go to the following link.
(Well at least I hope that link still works.)
How I made these "ugly ducklings" (you know the story - ugly came out looking beautiful) was as follows:
Supplies: Gesso
Foam Brush
Watercolor paper
Stazon Ink
Heat Gun (or a lot of patience to have it dry over night - which I didn't have)
1) I first cut a 8 1/2" x 11" sheet of watercolor paper in half. I then coated one half with a very thick coating of Gesso.
2) I applied the second half of the watercolor paper on top of this and "Smooshed" (technical term) the two together.
3) When I thought all was covered on both halves I then pulled the papers apart. By doing this it left peaks and valleys, lines, and squiggles all over and I was one happy camper.
4) I then proceeded to dry this "mess" by using my heat gun at some distance away from the paper. (Note: this will take some time to dry even using the heat gun.) After what I thought was all day, it all became dry to the touch.
5) Since I didn't have the Stazon Ink that it called for, I used Nick Bantok inks in the blue, purple, and green, and applied them DTP technique.
6) After applying these inks, I about got ill to my stomach as I sure didn't like what I saw. (The ugly duckling part.)
7) I figured I had nothing to loose, and that round file was sitting by my left foot, so I got out the foam brush (that I just cleaned), and started "blending" the ink. I started in one corner, kept on going, and the further I went the better I like all of this. (The beautiful swan part.)
8) I let all of this dry.
9) I saw an image I had already colored and cut out sitting on my desk, so one thing led into another and viola' an ATC is born. (Can't show you that one as I'm waiting to swap this on one of the Inky Fun Stampers swaps. )
I'm still trying to put together other things with this technique that is already done, so more will come on another posting.
I hope you enjoyed viewing my feeble attempts and if you did please leave me a comment. Have a creative weekend.

3 comments:

Michi Michaelson, Orange County, CA said...

FEEBLE attempts? FEEBLE attempts? I don't see no stinkin' FEEBLE attempts at your Gesso Technique, here Audrey!!! This is AWESOME!!!! I wanna get my hands all messy with this gesso technique, now!!! LOVE it!!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU for sharing!!!!!

Jane said...

Audrey, this looks amazing! Can't wait to see what you make with it!

Jane

christina d said...

I like what you've done with the gesso. Gonna have to try. I wonder what you could do with black gesso. hmmm!