Friday, August 15, 2008

SOME THANKS YOU'S

My cousin, Lois came to visit me this past weekend and it was a blast from the past, so I owe her a Thank You for making the 12 hour trek to my home all by herself. (More nerves of steal than me....LOL) I thought she deserved a "special" card as she is so special to me, and we have shared so very much in our lives. I hope she will enjoy it. I tried the Shimmering Resist that is listed in the August 2008 issue of the Technique Junkie Newsletter ( http://www.techniquejunkies.com/ ) and I am pleasantly pleased how it came out. The Flourish stamp that I used came from Clear Stamps by rhonna farrer, Autumn Leaves, a Division of Creativity, Inc., Van Nuys, CA. I bought these clear stamps while I was in AZ, and I don't remember the name of the place I purchased these, but I sure have used them a lot. The ink I used is Petal Point Magenta from Color Box - Arboretum set. The spray ink I used was "homemade" with reinkers and alcohol with a bit of Adirondack "pearl" mixed in. The background is made by stamping with Versa Mark and clear (or white) embossing powder. It sure came out shimmery, just like my cousin's personality.
The other thank you card that I needed to make is for my hair dresser. I
don't ordinarily make a thank you card for my hairdressers, but she
did such a marvelous job and very patient with me while I was answering questions of what I was doing with my hands, by herself and other patrons. I have a take-a-long bag full of stamped images and my Derwent Water color pencils, that I color while I need to be "patient" or "quiet" (which is hard for me to do so this is my salvation). She too has a sparkling personality so I tried the "Pearlized Gesso" in the August 2008 Technique Junkies Newsletter ( www.techniquejunkies.com ). The stamp that I used came from I Brake For Stamps ( www.ibrakeforstamps.com ). The "thank you" stamp I don't know where I purchased that from - sorry.
After applying the Gesso and Pearl Ex, letting it dry, I was pleasantly surprised how it turned my card stock into what felt like "canvas". With the Pearl Ex it sure made it shiny and the cross hatch pattern pop. It was a "messy" project, but it turned out to be very fun one to do. Yep, I'll get over my "messy" hang-up if it kills me...LOL Thanks Pat Huntoon for having the newsletter.
I hope you all will enjoy my endeavors and leave a comment or suggestion. Have a creative week.

4 comments:

Aimeslee Winans said...

Hi, Audrey. I enjoyed looking at your cards and your describing your working with the gesso technique. Yes, gesso does change paper's texture. Sometime, try gesso on watercolor paper and then some acrylic paint or watercolors or sponged distress inks. It makes nice backgrounds for cards and atcs.

Aimeslee from Stampers Corner

Aimeslee Winans said...

Hi Audrey. I enjoyed looking at your cards. Gesso techniques are great...and I know what you mean about having a "messy" block. I fight it myself. I get a lot more art done when I am successful. :-)

Aimeslee from Stampers Corner

Cheryl said...

Great looking cards!

Zeborah Loray said...

What a great texture!

Good to see you are learning to get messy for your art's sake. LOL